Release notes describe changes, fixes, and additions to the Grid theme. Use this article to stay in the loop with Grid’s latest versions. Each version is listed below with the version number, release date, and changes included.
September 17th, 2020 - v4.9.2
- We have removed the default social media sharing image setting and we now defer to the setting in the Shopify admin
Using an old version of Grid?
Make your update easier with
Please note that the Theme Updater App is only compatible with Grid versions 3.5.0 and up. Earlier theme versions require a manual update.
Registration is required to use the app. Subscription charges may apply.
July 22nd, 2020 - v4.9.1
July 14th, 2020 - v4.9.0
- Prices per unit will now be displayed for countries to which it applies
- We have added translation files for 10 new languages
- Added an editable text string next to the price on product pages that can be added if a product has tax applied.
June 16th, 2020 - v4.8.1
- Styling issue on password page
June 9th, 2020 - v4.8.0
- Stylesheet no longer uses SCSS, so settings update much faster in the theme editor
- Default settings for Light & Bright presets have been updated to match demo stores
May 11, 2020 - v4.7.1
- Mega navigation flickering in certain cases
- Uneven gutters on Image with text section on mobile
- We have fixed a currency formatting issue on the cart page
- Shipping calculator to display customer's default address when logged into their account
- Where you were able to drag around the slide on a single-slide slideshow
April 21st, 2020 - v4.7.0
- The old currency converter has been removed in favour of the new native multi-currency functionality
February 14th, 2020 - v4.6.0
- Twitter and Instagram section has been removed. The API has been deprecated with no suitable replacement so from now on you'll need to switch to using an app.
- Updated to use new product media component
- If multiple slideshows are present on the home page, bottom-most slideshow's control controls no longer override the other slideshow's control colours
- Resolved console warning regarding chiko icons
- Blog post featured images are no longer overlapped by text on initial load
- The slideshow's with only one slide no longer show pagination dots
- Masonry videos now play properly in iOS
December 19th, 2019 - v4.5.3
- Fixed issue where images uploaded to a static were appearing stretched
- Updated Warm preset to match our new demo
November 19th, 2019 - v4.5.2
- Implemented a fix on all mobile sliders which were encountering issues in the newest version of iOS (13).
- Fixed issue where the Masonry home page section was causing a tiny horizontal scroll on mobile devices.
- Updated Moody preset to match our new demo
- We moved all the links in the theme editor from form labels to the info sections
August 14th, 2019 - v4.5.1
- Product pages with videos in the description will no longer fail to load.
- Removed our website link from the footer 👋
- Changed styling for Dynamic checkout buttons
June 17th, 2019 - v4.5.0
- Switched to the new Product recommendations algorithm, which replaces the old Related products option
- Discounts are now visible in the mini-cart, cart page and order page!
June 4th, 2019 - v4.4.12
- Multiple meganavs with featured images will now feature the correct image in all cases
- Updated image with text overlay section to fix a couple bugs
- Updated social meta to fix an issue with images on Twitter preview cards
- Fixed bug affecting image heights on Collection List sections
- Gift cards will now display with correct styling!
- Users can now tap the product image to visit the product page on featured collections
- Removed Google+
- Support link in the Theme editor now points to our new support form
April 17th, 2019 - v4.4.11
March 11th, 2019 - 4.4.10
- You can now select a different overlay for each block in the masonry section on your Homepage.
- Overlays will now also cover the entire width of the Video with Text section when the layout is set to 'Content Width'.
- Newlines in translations will no longer cause console errors in the browser, because oops.
- We noticed some extra padding was getting added to the Video with Text Overlay section in some cases, so we've fixed that up!
- Customers will no longer be able to incorrectly add out-of-stock variants to the cart.
- The fix is in for the scrollbar locking issue on mobile.
- We've fixed a bug which caused the product slideshow to appear empty in the quickshop.
- The featured collection section will now respect the products-per-row setting in all cases!
- We've cleaned up some code and removed the imagesLoaded plugin in favour of our own library!
- The Checkout and Update Cart buttons will now span the full width of the screen on mobile devices.
- The default social sharing image will now be used when sharing products with no images of their own on social media.
- .We are now using Shopify's built-in sort options on the collection page!
- Masonry layout on collection pages will now reflect the manual order setting when sort is set to 'Featured'.
January 24th, 2019 - v4.4.7
- The collection page will now display correctly on iOS devices.
- The help link in the theme layout setting in the Theme Editor now points to the correct URL.
- The modal on the store password page will now open as expected.
- We have eliminated some errors that were appearing in the browser console.
- Buttons on the product page will now have the correct colours applied.
December 20th, 2018 - v4.4.5
- Changed dynamic checkout buttons content
- Changed dynamic checkout buttons to be enabled by default
December 14th, 2018 - 4.4.3
- We have made some improvements behind-the-scenes to make Grid work more organized!
- The Twitter feed will now show tweets beginning with '@'.
November 28th, 2018 - v4.4.2
- There is now a global 'show vendor' theme setting which will affect any place the vendor name normally appears
- Masonry images don't get distorted any more, on iOS 7
November 8th, 2018 - v4.4.1
- The theme now asks Google to only index each collection page once, to improve your SEO.
- All megamenus are now showing the correct featured image.
- The unnecessary 'Total' section has been removed from the Account Order History page.
- There is now a new options to show lock icons on cart page and mini-cart the checkout buttons
August 23rd, 2018 - 4.4.0
- We've added the ability to select a default social sharing image.
- Slideshow images on the product page are now centred on all devices, so no more wonky viewing.
- When the Header is set to the 'sticky' style there was some strange distortion of the logo image, but we've cleaned up that mess so you didn't have to.
July 26th, 2018 - v4.3.2
- Clicking on an Instagram username now opens their Instagram feed in a new tab.
- Meganavs with two levels now display correctly on mobile.
- Fixed an issue where overlay wouldn't disappear after clicking the play button on the video section.
July 17th, 2018 - v4.3.0
- We updated the footer payment icons to use Shopify's new official icon set.
July 11th, 2018 - v4.2.1
- The image zoom feature on the product page was being stubborn and refused to work, so we gave it a stern talking to and now it's working again.
- The quickshop was being shy and didn't want to show itself on the home page. We've helped it to build up some courage and now it's working just like before.
June 25th, 2018 - v4.2.0
- It's that time again. I'd sit down if I were you. With a strong cup of coffee. And some snacks.
- This week, we:
- Added back in a cart redirection toggle (so you can send customers directly to the cart after they add a product to their bag).
- Added a success message to newsletter subscription.
- Added Google+, Medium, Tumblr, Kickstarter, and LinkedIn social media account icons to your footer.
- Changed tabs to use a shared module (just some behind the scenes stuff).
- Changed the theme attribution to a language string so you can change the language without your theme being marked as 'edited'.
- Now allow use the use of the "@" symbol in Instagram and Twitter usernames.
- Fixed an issue with certain images appearing lower quality in comparison to previous versions (like the logo).
- Fixed an issue with jumpiness while scrolling in the product details area.
- Removed unused social accounts.
- Added back the Promotions section from pre-sections parity (oops).
- Fixed a missing alternate masonry mobile setting (oops again).
- Fixed some alternate masonry stying.
- Fixed the header text not being bolded.
- Fixed an issue with currency displaying without symbol.
- You did it! Carry on with your day now.
June 19th, 2018 - v4.1.0
- Fixed an issue where the product image thumbnails were not appearing in the quick shop.
May 31st, 2018 - v4.0.0
- Added support for Shopify Font picker
April 6th, 2018 - v3.5.0
- Implemented responsive and lazy loading images.
April 3rd, 2018 - v3.4.0
- Implemented support for Shopify's new dynamic checkout buttons. Now on the product page and quickshop, customers can checkout directly via Amazon Pay, Apple Pay, Paypal, and Shopify Payments if you have those gateways set up on your store.
- Fixed the infamous broken Twitter feed.
- Fixed the broken Instagram feed.
February 26th, 2018 - v3.3.0
- Added some new sections to comply with Shopify's Sections Parity updates. We added a(n): Announcement bar, Map, Newsletter, Image with text, Rich text, and a Featured product section.
January 15th, 2018 - v3.2.1
- Twitter and Instagram made some changes that broke how the images were being displayed in all of our themes. We fixed that up so images should show up again!
January 8th, 2018 - v3.2.0
- Updated the menu system to be integrated with Shopify's nested navigation update. See this link to get more information on how to set up nested navigation.
December 1st, 2017 - v3.1.4
- Updated Paskit.
- Fixed an issue where the currency format wasn't always respecting the setting.
November 30th, 2017 - v3.1.3
- Changed how we handle inventory so it complies with Shopify's inventory policies.
November 17th, 2017 - v3.1.2
- Fixed theme editor preview rendering incorrectly.
- Fixed single variant products not displaying variant information.
- Fixed list view product details overlapping with other content.
November 3rd, 2017 - v3.1.1
- We jumped the gun a bit and tried to sneak in some changes that didn't follow Shopify's code chill rules. This build is the same except it does not have:
- A nice 'success!' message for the newsletter subscription.
- Google+, Medium, and LinkedIn social media accounts.
- New colours for the collection page pagination.
- New colours for the newsletter placeholder text.
- The ability to use '@' symbols in Instagram and Twitter fields.
- A new tabs shared module.
- Only one video thumbnail.
- The ability to translate the footer theme credit.
- This will all be implemented once black friday and cyber monday are over. Sit tight!
November 2nd, 2017 - v3.1.0
- Lots of stuff happening in this release. We suggest you sit down and pour yourself a cuppa joe if you're really keen on reading it through.
- Added a nice 'success!' message to newsletter subscription.
- Added Google+, Medium, and LinkedIn social media accounts.
- Changed the pagination on collection pages to use button background colours.
- Changed the newsletter placeholder colour to match the body text colour.
- Grid now allows the use of '@' symbols in Instagram and Twitter username fields.
- Changed the tabs situation to use a shared module. Nothing is different for you, just us.
- Fixed a little woopsie with the video flashing a second thumbnail before it started playing.
- Fixed some little things in the presets to match the demos.
- Changed the theme attribution (the "Grid theme by Pixel Union" at the bottom) to be a language string (not important) so that you can translate it to a different language without breaking anything.
- Are you still reading?
- How's the coffee?
- Weather has changed from rainy to sunny over here.
- Corrected the sticky navigation behaviour so it doesn't jump around while scrolling.
- Removed unused social media accounts.
- Fixed unresponsive zip code field.
- Corrected the collection used in breadcrumbs.
- Fixed an issue causing similarly named variant options from working correctly.
- It's raining again.
- Fixed an issue with products being misaligned in the mini cart.
- Fixed an issue with switching variant images when the product is on sale.
- Fixed window width calculation. What does this mean? Things don't overlap anymore.
- Fixed issue where collection titles didn't actually link to those collections.
- Fixed an issue where the email link wouldn't actually open up an email.
- We all lived happily ever after.
- Until the next release.
- The end.
September 1st, 2017 - v3.0.3
- Instagram feed stopped showing cropped square images. They're square again!
August 18th, 2017 - v3.0.0
- Gave Grid a haircut and a makeover and fixed lots of bits and bobs. This is what we did:
- Added a testimonials section to home page.
- Added the ability to have video features in the masonry section on home page (way cool).
- Added a home page video with text section to home page.
- Added a text hero section to home page.
- Added a home page promotion section.
- Improved mobile navigation.
- Added new layouts to the header.
- Implemented the ability to have a masonry layout on collections page.
- Implemented the ability to have a masonry layout on blog index page.
- Implemented ability to have a masonry layout on collection page (sensing a pattern?)
- Implemented ability to have masonry typography options.
- Implemented ability to have masonry placeholder SVGs to have a background colour
- The last two points are lies, just making sure you're paying attention.
- Implemented new typography options (LIKE RUBIK!!!!)
- Changed masonry placeholder SVGs to have a background colour.
- Last but definitely not least, we implemented an alternate product template.
- Kidding, last and kind of lease, we made some tune-ups and tweaks to copy and settings.
- Kidding about kidding - most importantly, we fixed an issue where the twitter feeds stopped displaying emojis. Twitter feeds now display emojis again. Phew.
July 25th, 2017 - v2.1.0
- Updated all range settings to be sliders in theme editor.
July 24th, 2017 - v2.0.9
- Corrected URLs for footer social links.
- Fixed issue with wrong variant images showing after rearranging the image order.
- Updated support links for documentation.
- Removed hover interaction on masonry feature grid on mobile if there are no links, headings or subtitles.
- Added support for Shopify pay icon to footer.
June 20th, 2017 - v2.0.8
- Fixed issue with masonry text not appearing on mobile.
- Fixed broken CSS.
May 23rd, 2017 - v2.0.6
- Fixed issue with Twitter feed not displaying tweets.
April 21, 2017 — v2.0.5
- Fixed issue with alternate home page layout masonry not linking without text.
- Fixed issue where variant "on sale" pricing was not displaying correctly.
- Fixed issue where contact form was incorrectly aligned.
- Added number of blog posts per page setting.
January 13th, 2017 — v2.0.1
- Fixed issue with mobile menu not scrolling.
Updated Grid-Bright to use alternative layout as preset.
- Added mobile logout link.
- Fix issue with product price not displaying sale prices with variants.
January 9th, 2017 — v2.0.0
- Updated theme with Shopify's Sections.
November 17th, 2016 — v1.13.1
- Minor bug fixes.
November 8th, 2016 — v1.13.0
- Minor bug fixes.
- Added Shopify List newsletters theme option.
- Fixed issue with currency converter.
October 20th, 2016 — v1.11.1
- Implemented Apple Pay icon on cart page.
- Minor bug fixes.
August 25th, 2016 — v1.11.0
- Updated Flickity plugin for product slideshows.
- Implemented featured blog images.
- Minor bug fixes.
July 21st, 2016 — v1.10.5
- Minor bug fix.
July 7th, 2016 — v1.10.4
- Fixed issue with Twitter feed.
May 6th, 2016 — v1.10.3
- Added spam check to contact form.
- Minor bug fix.
March 22nd, 2016 — v1.10.0
- Added support for ShopPad apps.
March 8th, 2016 — v1.9.1
- Minor Twitter bug fix.
February 29th, 2016 — v1.9.0
- Updated theme settings to comply with Shopify's naming and organizational setting conventions.
December 15th, 2015 — v1.8.9
- Removed 'Powered by Shopify' link in footer.
December 10th, 2015 — v1.8.8
- Added functionality to upload featured images for blog posts.
- Added Apple Wallet integration.
September 24th, 2015 — v1.8.4
- Fixed Newsletter Signup bug in footer on Android phones.
September 24th, 2015 — v1.8.3
- Improved mega-navigation image functionality.
- Minor bug fix.
September 24th, 2015 — v1.8.2
- Fixed tweet emoji height in twitter feed.
July 24th, 2015 — v1.8.1
- Changed Minimal preset to Light.
July 24th, 2015 — v1.8.0
- Add introduction message section.
July 24th, 2015 — v1.7.0
- Add linked (variant) options as theme setting..
July 24th, 2015 — v1.6.0
- Add ajax Add-to-Cart on product page.
July 17th, 2015 — v1.5.0
- Rebuilt quickshop.
- Updated twitter card to Shopify standard.
June 11th, 2015 — v1.4.7
- Updated Currency Converter Plugin.
May 29th, 2015 — v1.4.6
- Automatically set a default currency for the Currency Converter.
- Fixed foreign character issue.
- Made slideshow linkable without text.
- Minor bug fix.
May 14th, 2015 — v1.4.4
- Added setting to display a collection's Featured Image and Description.
- Fixed mobile product page thumbnail pagination.
April 30th, 2015 — v1.4.2
- Fixed issue with contact form not submitting.
April 21st, 2015 — v1.4.1
- Implemented settings_schema.json and removed settings.html.
April 9th, 2015 — v1.4.0
- Replaced slideshow with Flickity plugin.
- Fixed issue with Youtube icon not appearing in footer.
- Added colour customization for slideshow controls.
April 2nd, 2015 — v1.3.1
- Fixed issue with quickshop opening when this feature was disabled.
- Fixed issue with glitching text in 'List View' Product layout.
- Added option to only show Masonry text on hover-over.
- Optimized settings for Slideshow feature.
- Removed hover-over for Product List items on mobile.
March 26th, 2015 — v1.2.1
- Minor bug fixes.
- Fixed issue Pinterest button on Product page.
March 19th, 2015 — v1.1.0
- Added Favicon feature.
- Added Ajax add-to-cart capability.
- Fixed issue with additional cart buttons.
- Fixed issue with slow loading Collection page.