Restrict access based on age by using the theme's Age gate feature. Just set the minimum age in the theme settings, then enable the feature site-wide or assign it to specific pages.
To have the Age gate appear on site entry, complete this adjustment:
- Confirm you're using the latest version of your theme
- In the theme editor (Customize), open the Theme settings
- Open AGE GATE
- Set the Minimum age (e.g. 21)
- Activate Show site-wide
The customer will only have to enter their age once when they visit your storefront
Confirm you're using the latest version of your theme, then open the theme editor (Customize).
Determine which page to restrict, then open the template for that page.
|Page to restrict||Template to open|
|Product pages||Default product|
|Static pages (e.g. About)||Default page|
|Collection pages||Default collection|
|Blog post||Default blog post|
When the template is open, select (+) Add section in the sidebar.
Select Page age gate, then add it to the template.
The minimum age is set to 18 by default. To adjust this minimum, open the Page age gate section and change the Age minimum setting.
This will restrict all instances of this template with an age verifier.
Limit to specific pages, products, etc.
To have the Age gate for a specific page or select of pages, we recommend creating a dedicated template with the feature enabled and assigning the desired products, pages, etc. to this new template.
- We have one alcohol-based product that needs an age restriction for the USA market
- In the theme editor, we use the page selector to select Products, then [+] Create template
- For the Based on setting, we select Default product. Add a name for the template (e.g. Age Gate), then Create template
- When the new template loads in the editor, we select (+) Add section in the sidebar.
- We select Page age gate, then add it to the template
- We open the section to adjust the Minimum age from 18 to 21
- We click Save
- We navigate to the Products portion of our Shopify admin
- We open the alcohol-based product to edit, then select our new template from the Theme templates dropdown
- We Save