By default, your theme will automatically select the first variant for a product. If you are using Empire or Tailor, you can adjust the settings to have no preselected variant and require a selection by the customer.
Disable auto-selection in Empire
If your customers would benefit more from choosing their variant without a default selection, consider disabling the Auto-select first available variant setting in the Theme settings.
- In the theme editor (Customize), open the Theme settings
- Select Products
- Scroll down to Form then click to deselect Auto-select first available variant
Disable auto-selection in Tailor
- In the theme editor (Customize), use the page selector to open Products then Default product
- In the left sidebar, open Product page
- Click to deselect Auto-select first available variant