This offer type is a premium feature of Ultimate Special Offers available for an additional subscription fee.
The Post-Purchase Upsell offer lets you promote additional or complementary products immediately after checkout with an optional discount.
Then consider the limitations to using the Post-Purchase Upsell offer and best practices to use this offer type effectively.
Step 1: Name your offer
Each offer requires a Name before you can save, so use the provided field to add a title for the offer. Later on, you can search for this name among your other offers for quick access.
Step 2: Set up the Post-Purchase Upsell offer
Set the product (or products) that need to be added to the cart to activate the offer. You can choose a single product/variant, choose multiple products/variants individually, or choose collections.
Choose products or variants to promote post-purchase when trigger items are included in the original purchase. Eligible customers will see your Post-Purchase Upsell offer after completing the payment stage of the checkout.
Only one Post-Purchase Upsell item can be shown in the checkout at once. If you target multiple offer products, one will be selected at random and shown in the checkout.
Select a discount to offer using the Choose discount dropdown. There are two different options when setting your discount:
Discount percentage: Set a percentage-based discount for the offer. Example: Add a tote bag to your order for 25% off.
Discount amount: Set a dollar-based discount for the offer. Example: Add a tote bag to your order for $5 off.
Tip: To promote a Post-Purchase Upsell item without a discount, simply enter "0" in the discount amount field.
Step 3: Edit your offer messaging
In the Initial message field, enter a message to let customers know their order qualifies for an offer. Example: Your order qualifies for a special offer!
If you've targeted specific variants in your offer, make sure this is reflected in your messages.
Step 4: Select Ultimate Special Offers in your checkout settings
In your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Checkout and select Ultimate Special Offers to enable your Post-Purchase Upsell offer. If you have other post-purchase apps installed, you can use this setting to choose which to activate.
Note: Only one post-purchase app can be activated at one time.
The Post-Purchase Upsell will appear after customers complete the payment phase of the checkout. Once the order is completed, a single order containing the original purchase and the Post-Purchase Upsell item is created in your Shopify admin.
- At this time Shopify Plus users must use the standard checkout. Customized checkouts will not work.
- Third-party payment gateways are not compatible with the Post-Purchase offer. For the Post-Purchase Upsell offer to apply, customers must pay for their order using Shopify Payments.
- Accelerated checkouts/wallets like Shop Pay, PayPal, Apple Pay, Amazon Pay, and Google Pay are not supported. Payment methods like Klarna, Afterpay, and Affirm are also unsupported.
- Post-Purchase Upsell offers will not work with subscription items.
- Post-Purchase Upsell offers are not compatible with Shopify's Multi-Currency at this time.
- Post-Purchase Upsell offers will not work with automatic fulfillment enabled.
Your success is our #1 priority. Tell us how we’re doing by writing a review.