Clear site navigation is crucial to any online store. It serves as a road map of your site, connecting your customers with the products and information they’re looking for.
Set up and manage your navigation menus through the Shopify admin (Online Store > Navigation).
Where these menus can appear depends on your theme. If you have already set up your menus, refer to this article for theme-specific display options:
Create a new menu
Your Shopify store has two default menus: Main menu and Footer menu. If you want to add a different menu, do the following:
- From your Shopify admin, click Online Store, then Navigation
- Click Add menu
- Give your menu a Title.
- Add your menu items
Add menu items
- On the menu editor, select + Add menu item
- Enter a Name for the menu item
- Click the Link field and enter a website address or select a link type.
- Save and repeat
Change the order of menu items
- In Navigation, open a menu to edit
- Click and hold the handle icon beside the menu item you want to move, and then drag it to its new position
- Save and repeat as needed
Create a dropdown menu
You can use dropdowns to group products, collections, or pages together.
- In Navigation, select your menu to edit
- Choose one of the menu items to be the top-level item for your dropdown menu, or add a new menu item to serve as the top-level item.
If you don’t want the top-level item to link to anything, you can enter # in the Link field. In this example, we want to create a dropdown menu from the top-level "Sale" menu, and we don't want to link it to anything (customers will be able to choose from a list of sale collections when they click "Sale.")
- Add menu items to include in the new dropdown menu. Click Add menu item, enter the name of the menu item and enter or select a destination for the link.
- Click and drag the new menu items to nest below the menu item in the preferred order.
Small dots will appear as you hover over different areas to indicate where your menu items will be placed. You can also add menu items directly to menus by clicking the link below the menu.
Save and repeat as needed
Add a mega navigation menu
Mega navigation menus are enhanced dropdown menus used to include more content. Also known as mega menus or mega-navs, these are popular with merchants since they can display more menu links while keeping the layout clear, accessible, and digestible.