Empire's blog and article pages
Your Shopify store comes with a powerful built-in blogging engine. Blogs are great for content that you’ll be updating regularly. While many stores maintain only one blog (probably called "News" or "Journal") some create multiple to better categorize information including customer stories, tips, tutorials, FAQs and more.
You'll do all your blogging in the Shopify admin (to get your Shopify blog up and running, see their instructions), but when it comes to customizing how your blog(s) display, you'll do that within the theme editor. Just navigate to the blog or article page in the theme editor, and you'll see a section pop up, giving you access to settings specific to that page.
Your blog page(s) provides users with an index of your blog posts. Some stores choose to rename this page "News" or "Journal" — what you call it and how you use it is up to you!
To access the settings for these pages, navigate to your blog in the theme editor and then click Blog pages under the Sections tab.
Empire offers a number of ways to customize your blog pages. You can:
- Show RSS link in header. This will allow users to "subscribe" to a stripped-down version your content in an RSS reader.
- Show date published. This one's pretty self-explanatory. Checking it will show the date published above the post title.
- Show post author. Also pretty self-explanatory. Checking it will show the post author's name beside the date (also above the post title).
- Show post excerpt. This will show an excerpt of your post on the blog page. You can customize the text that appears from the post editor in your Shopify admin.
- Set a Highlighted post. This is one of Empire's unique options that allows you to showcase a recent, popular, or important post at the top of the first blog index post. You can select any post from any blog using the Set highlighted post dropdown menu. If you need to make some changes before giving it priority treatment, you can use the Edit article shortcut.
- Set the Posts per page. Empire allows you to display 6, 9, or 12 posts per blog page.
Every time you publish a new article (or post) to your store's blog, Shopify will generate a new page and URL for it. To access the settings for these pages, navigate to a post—any post—in the theme editor and then click Article pages under the Sections tab.
Empire offers a number of ways to customize your article pages. You can:
- Show date published. This will show a date stamp at the top of your each article.
- Show post author. This will show the post author's name at the top of each article (right beside the date, if you have that enabled).
- Use share buttons. This will add append a small series of social icons to the bottom of each of your posts, allowing readers to share your posts on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest. They'll look like this and display to the right of your articles.