Email template set-up guide
Importing Campaign Templates
You will first need to import your templates into MailChimp so you can access them when creating your campaigns.
- Navigate to the Templates page
- Click Create Template
- Choose Code Your Own.
- Choose Import HTML.
- Name your template and upload the HTML file for the template you’d like to use.
6. The template will open in the code editor. Click Save.
7. After saving, your new template will be available for you to use on the Templates page or under Saved Templates in the Campaign Builder.
Using a template to create a Campaign
Once you’ve imported the template in MailChimp, you can access it via the Campaign Builder and use it for a campaign.
Create a Campaign
Click the Campaigns link in the top-left menu of your Mailchimp dashboard. Then click the Create Campaign button on the right-hand side.
Select a Type of Campaign
Here, we'll using a regular campaign. Click the Select button to continue.
You can learn about other types of campaigns on Mailchimp's knowledge base.
Select your newsletter list
Select the list you want to send your campaign to and then click Next in the bottom-right Corner.
Configure your settings
The main things you'll want to complete for your campaign are Email subject, From name, and From email address.
Make sure when you add the Subject Name that it's something that people will want to open. A good hook is key!
Click Next in the bottom-right corner.
Select your template
Select the Saved Templates option to select the template you’ve imported in the previous steps.
Editing your template
Your template is comprised of Content blocks that can be edited and filled with your own content. You can also use MailChimp’s design setting to change the colour, styles and design of the template to match your own store.
To edit a content block, simply hover over it and you’ll see your options for editing that content.
For example, hovering over an image will reveal the Edit, Remove or Use Text options.
Edit text content and links
Hover over images you would like to replace and click the EDIT button. Click the Replace button to change the image, the Link button to link to a collection or product page, and the Alt button to add Alt text to your image (this is good for SEO and in case your images break in the customer's browser).
MailChimp’s Campaign Editor also provides design settings that you can use to further customize the look of your campaign:
- Page: change the background colour of your campaign
- Typography: use these settings to change the font family, font weight, size, colour, style and spacing of your campaign’s text. The settings mainly apply to the text in the main body of your Campaign.
- Header: change the look of your campaign’s header’s text
- Body: customize the borders that separate your campaign's content blocks
- Buttons: customize your campaign’s Call to Action buttons ex. SHOP NOW
- Banners: change background colour of any banners contained in your campaign
- Footer: customize borders and text in footer
- Monkey Rewards: enable the Monkey Rewards badge in our template.
Review and send your campaign
You're all set! Double-check your template and campaign settings to make sure you're good to go. Then send it off :)
Shopify Notification Emails
Copying the new template
In a text editor (e.g. TextEdit on a Mac), open the template you wish to edit by right-clicking the .html file and selecting your desired plain text editor. Here, we'll be editing the Abandoned Checkout email template.
If you're using TextEdit, you may need to go to Format > Make Plain Text. It's important that the file doesn't have any styling or rich content.
Once open, select all of the text in the file and copy it to your keyboard (you can click Command-C on a Mac or Control-C on Windows).
Replacing the old template
From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Notifications. In this case, since we are editing the Abandoned Checkout email, click Abandoned Checkout.
First, select and delete all the current text in the Email body (HTML) field. Then paste your copied template into the field by pressing Command-V (Mac) or Control-V (Windows).
Previewing and Saving the template
To preview your email template, click the three dots in the top-right corner and select Preview. A screen will pop up showing your new email template; you can also select Send test email to ensure the template looks good in your email inbox.
Finally, click the Save button. Voila! Your new email template for notifying customers who have abandoned their cart is all set to go.